Cobalt-Free Drier for Improved Drying Time in Alkyd Paint
Borchi® OXY-Coat is a metal-based cobalt-free drier for improved drying time in alkyd paint. It demonstrates excellent drying performance at low use levels in solvent-based alkyd coatings. It is particularly efficient in coatings using propylene glycol.
Borchi® OXY-Coat provides improved drying time in alkyd paint compared to cobalt-based solutions in short, medium and long oil alkyd systems
This solution is a unique catalyst that is applicable in a wide range of coating systems that dry oxidatively. As cobalt is increasingly being labeled as a toxic metal around the world, Borchi® OXY-Coat boasts as a curing solution that does not contain any toxic metals.
Benefits of Cobalt-Free Driers
Benefits of this cobalt-free drier includes improved drying time, gloss and haze in alkyd paint. This solution also provides brighter whites and acts as an anti-yellowing agent in coatings. Borchi® OXY-Coat has the ability to be used in exterior coatings used in adverse weather conditions. This extends the coatings season window for paint applications. It also provides wrinkle-free drying in hot weather and improved adhesion in direct to metal applications.
Color advantages include warmer wood tones, non-yellowing of substrates and brighter whites in coatings compared to metal carboxylates
Compared to cobalt carboxylate driers, cobalt-free drying additives allow exterior coatings to be used in adverse conditions. They provide similar dry times to a wide range of weather conditions and quicken dry times in cold weather
Unlike cobalt alternatives, Borchi® OXY-Coat prevents wrinkling in hot weather
Improved adhesion due to better cross-linking compared to cobalt alternatives
Cobalt-Free Drier Applications
Applications include wood, industrial and architectural coatings, as well as printing inks.
Appearance Clear brown to yellow liquid Metal content Fe: 800 – 1000 ppm Viscosity Max. 200 mPa·s (informative) ISO 3219 (A) (20 °C) Density Approx. 1.04 g/cm3 (informative) DIN 51757 (20 °C) Solvent 1,2-propylene glycol (informative)
- Cobalt-free drier for alkyd paints that improves drying activity, color performance, gloss and haze compared to cobalt-based driers
- Brighter whites and non-yellowing in coatings
- Based on a unique, patented, highly active iron complex
- Primarily recommended for the use in solvent-based systems
- Can be used in all coatings which dry by oxidation
- Coatings with resins that that dry by oxidation
- Vegetable oils
- Epoxy esters
All resin systems are unique and will require the level of Borchi® OXY - Coat to be optimized for the best cost and dry. We recommend using a ladder study of 0.5 -3 % Borchi® OXY - Coat as supplied on resin solids. Please keep in mind that too much Borchi® OXY – Coat might inhibit through dry. Borchi® OXY - Coat should be added as one of the last ingredients before the Anti-Skinning agent.
Protect from the effects of weathering and store at temperatures between 5 and 30 °C. Once opened, containers should be resealed immediately after each removal of the product.
Please refer to our safety data sheet for information relating to product safety.
SAFETY DATA SHEET
- Europe : Pre-registered, EU - REACH (Registered)
- Switzerland : EINECS
- USA : TSCA
- Canada : Allowed under specific conditions. Please contact us for further information.
- Australia : Registered but currently may be subject to volume restrictions
- New Zealand : May be used as a component in a product covered by a group standard but it is not approved for use as a chemical in its own right
- China : Registered but currently may be subject to volume restrictions
- Japan : Registered but currently may be subject to volume restrictions
- Korea : ECL
- Taiwan : NECI